Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I'm back and it's Marathon Madness!

It's been a while and for that I apologise........but I have many awesome recipes to share with you as well as my trip back home to my motherland...the UK. I'm also training for my first marathon....so have been writing a lot of recipes and testing too....but trying not to eat the goodies myself!

Where to start...well today I've whipped up a batch of gluten free muffins that I found in an old issue of Australian BBC Good Food Magazine. 


They are simply divine and so simple to make. I am heralding Healtherie's Gluten Free Baking mix as the best gluten free baking mix I have ever used...I've tried quite a few from the US Bob's Red Mill to the British organic Dove's farm. But hands down, this is impressive - just replace it as you would normal flour within a recipe and just make sure your baking powder is gluten free! Easy as that! Scroll down for the recipe...you won't be disappointed.


I also use it to make crumble toppings with some Gluten Free Oats I found in Waitrose in the UK - I wish that store was here - how I miss it so!


A friend asked me to make some 1st birthday cupcakes for a special little lady.... here they are.



I'll be back next week with a great new product that's just been launched in NZ supermarkets and I'll also tell you how to use it!

Have a great week! TPB X

MANGO, ALMOND & COCONUT MUFFINS


Makes 12-16

Prep 20 minutes
Cook 30 minutes

GLUTEN FREE

FREEZER FREINDLY

2 cups gluten free flour mix (Healtheries)

2/3 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup desiccated coconut
70g almond meal
1 cup trim milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 small mangoes, 1 chopped, 1 sliced (I used 1 can mango slices in syrup and drained them)


  1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius fan bake. Line a 12 hole muffin pan with cases.
  2. Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl and stir well. Combine wet ingredients in a jug and whisk together lightly. Pour into bowl and stir until combined. Be careful not to over mix. Add the chopped mango and mix again.
  3. Pour into cases and layer with sliced mango on top. Place into oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top. If desired, sprinkle with a little icing sugar when cooled.


  

HEALTHY FOOD GUIDE MAKE OVER MUESLI SLICE - JULY 2012 
http://www.healthyfood.co.nz


Makes 32 bars
Prep 15 minutes
Cook 20-25 minutes

FREEZER FRIENDLY 

Spray oil
3 cups rolled oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup prunes, chopped
¼ cup linseeds
110g reduced fat spread
1 x 400g tin lite sweetened condensed milk
1 tablespoon light peanut butter
2 tablespoons runny honey


  1. Heat oven to 170°c. Grease and line a 30cm x 21cm bake tray. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
  2. Place a small heavy based pan on a low heat, melt the spread, condensed milk, peanut butter and honey. Carefully stir until melted, simmer for 1-2 minutes until it begins to thicken.
  3. Pour the melted mixture into the bowl on top of the oat mixture. Stir well until combined.
  4. Press into prepared tray and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
  5. Once cooled, remove from tray and using a sharp knife, cut into squares.

Variations
  • Banana & choc chip – add ½ cup extra oats to dry mixture. Once all is combined, fold through ½ cup mashed banana & 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips.
  • Fruit & nut – Replace sunflower and sesame seeds with chopped nuts and replace the prunes with sultanas.

What we changed from original full fat recipe from http://www.taste.com.au
  •      Swapped butter for reduced fat spread
  •      Reduced honey
  •      Reduced peanut butter
  •      Removed sugar
  •      Swapped toasted muesli for rolled oats





No comments:

Post a Comment